Friday, July 14, 2017

Requiem for a Duke

he is going and I know it
it is written on his face
in the grayness of his muzzle
and the way he stays in place
'til I call him twice or three times
when I get inside the door
he isn't up to greet me
like he always was before

oh but once he makes his entrance
even though he's not quite spry
there's little doubt he loves it
when I get down to say hi
and tell him all about my day
'twixt nuzzles and the licks
his language of forgiveness
he repeats until it sticks

because rescue is the term we use
describing how we met
about who and whom we get confused
it's mutual I guess
although in my heart I know it
must be him that made me safe
despite the fact before my home
the shelter was his place

but far too soon to comprehend
his time is growing thin
his body battles weakly
'gainst the demon lodged within
his spirit never falters
though his eyes often grow dim
I struggle with the knowledge
time is near to release him

I remember most the head bumps
and the zoomies 'bout the yard
excitement for the biscuits
and the walks both near and far
but best of all were quiet times
with belly rubs and pats
and kisses on that big dog head
and every little chat.

and sitting on the top step
of the deck stairs out in back
keeping tabs upon his kingdom
calm alert for all attacks
whether squirrel or bird or antlered
any foe would turn and run
from his brown eye blue eye pirate gaze
one look and they'd be done

just as I was the first time
by that gaze my heart was stung
and just as fast forgiven
baptised by his big dog tongue
Akita pitbull terrier
my Duke
the only one

he came home on that first day
to a promise freely made
the sting now reasserts itself
the promise has been paid
in full
my Duke's forever home

© 2017 Frederick Andrew ~ All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment