Saturday, April 26, 2014

Cookie at the Counter

April 27th challenge

The mem'ry has grown tattered
color faded details lost
and yet I cling, tenacious
for it's all of her remains

Sunny Sunday afternoon
bright blue sky crisply clear
Momma's cookies baked and racked
on the counter cooling

White and cotton sundress
pigtails, brown eyes big as pools
hands on counter smiling, waiting
chocolate chip smell in the air.

Never sure if I was ready
worried from the time I knew
tried to put the best face on it
Parents...how the world would change

Then she came and I held her
wrinkled peanut small and warm
In that moment my heart stolen
hers forever and a day.

Four years to the cookie counter
daddy's girl so full of love
life before drab and forgotten
she's the center of my world.

Not long after came the darkness
quickly stole her body's strength
but her spirit strong and singing
'til the final kiss goodbye.

Cookie at the counter
tattered memory remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment